Bill 146 introduces many changes that Migrant Workers Alliance for Change and Workers Action Centre members and supporters across the province have been calling for. If passed the new legislation would:
- Ban recruitment fees for all migrant workers
- Give workers 2 years to claim unpaid wages
- Get rid of the unfair $10,000 limit on the unpaid wages that can be claimed
- Make temp agencies and client companies jointly liable for ESA violations
- End WSIB rating system loopholes that provided an incentive for companies to use temp agencies
The Ministry of Labour also announced that they will fulfill their 2008 commitment to $10 million for proactive employment standards enforcement. The government pledged to bring in more penalties for employers who violate the law and indicated the need to continue to make further changes to address precarious employment.
Read MWAC Migrant worker members responses here.