How can I change my employer? Will it affect my permanent residency application?

If you have a closed work permit, you will have to apply for a new LMIA and work permit in order to change employers and legally work in Canada. If you have a valid open work permit, you can change employers at any time. 

If you have a permanent residency application in process under the new Caregiver program and you have not completed the required 24 months of service, you will need to send in an updated IMM 5983 form or a copy of your current temporary employment contract. 

These restrictive immigration rules force migrant care workers to stay in bad jobs because it is difficult to find an employer with an LMIA or we are worried about our PR application. This is not fair! We should be free to change employers when we want to.