How do I apply for permanent residency?

To apply for the new Caregiver Program that started in June 2019, you have to meet all the requirements before coming to Canada. If you are applying from within Canada, you have to meet all the requirements before being accepted into the program. 

The government requires:

  1. A job offer from an employer in Canada

A signed offer of employment to be a home child care provider or a home support worker in a job (outside of the province of Quebec).

  1. Ability to do the job

Relevant work experience or training that shows you are able to do the job of a home child care provider (nanny, babysitter, live-in caregiver providing child care) or a home support worker (attendant for persons with disabilities, live-in caregiver for seniors, personal care attendant, home support worker). These jobs are described under the National Occupation Classification (NOC) code 4411 or 4412.

  1. Educational Credential Assessment

At least 1 year Canadian post-secondary education or its equivalent. You must get an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) from an approved organization.

  1. Language Test

English or French language skills that meet the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level 5. You must pass the IELTS or CELPIP exam with CLB 5 in all skills. Your test must be less than 2 years old when you apply.

If you do not qualify, you are not alone! The requirements are too strict and leave most care workers out. This is not fair! PR means equal rights, the power to protect ourselves, leave bad jobs and reunite with our families. Care workers like you are working together to push the Canadian government to give permanent status for all. Contact us to get involved.