I need a job, can you help?

Life is getting harder – the cost of food, medicine, and school fees are getting higher, while wages and opportunities are dropping. The rich are getting richer, while our families continue to suffer.

Migrant Workers Alliance for Change is a migrant worker rights organization led by migrants; we are not a job placement agency and cannot help you find a job. We’re fighting to change the laws in Canada so that you can get permanent resident status and pursue better opportunities to build a better life for you and your family!


You can use this Canadian government website to look for farms in Canada that are hiring, but may need to apply for your own work permit: https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/temporary-foreign-workers. Beware of job & immigration scammers and recruiters who make big promises but will take advantage of you!

My permit is expired or expiring. What can I do?

Last updated January 14, 2022Get in touch with us for the most recent information

During COVID19, the federal government changed rules around restoration of status because migrants like you organized! There was an extension of the restoration period, which meant that migrants who had valid status on or before January 2020 could apply for restoration until August 31, 2021. 

Now, the extension has ended and you only have 90 days after your permit expires to apply for restoration. For many of us, 90 days have already passed since we lost status, and we cannot apply. That’s not fair.

If you are in this situation, you are not alone! Contact us so we can discuss your options and continue to organize for changes to immigration rules. 

Can I apply for a Bridging Open Work Permit?

A bridging open work permit (BOWP) lets us continue to work while waiting on a decision on our permanent residence applications. Previously, migrants could apply for BOWPs only if our permits were set to expire within four months. 

Now, the four month rule has been removed, and you can apply for a BOWP if you meet the eligibility requirements. Click here for more information.

If you cannot apply for a BOWP or have questions, contact us!

What do I need to know about the “new” HCCP / Childcare PR stream for Caregivers?

The Home Child Care Provider Pilot program (HCCP) re-opened on January 1, 2022, after being closed since April 30, 2021. 

This is not a new program. The program has only 2,750 spots. Once IRCC receives 2,750 applications in a year, they stop accepting more applications. 

You should apply as soon as possible if you haven’t already. 


You may be able to bring your family to join you if you qualify through the HCCP and are eligible for PR. 

This program was created because migrant care workers like you organized. But the requirements are unfair. 2750 is not enough spots for everyone to apply. Not all of us can pass the CLB Level 5 English exam or have completed 1 year post-secondary education. Get involved. Call now to join with other migrant care workers like you to get permanent status for all. 

How does arrival and quarantine work this year? Do I have to be vaccinated to come to Canada?

Last updated January 14, 2022Get in touch with us for the most recent information

  1. Rules about quarantine and vaccinations may be different, depending on what province or region you are going to. For example, there are specific rules for migrant workers coming to BC. This can be confusing! Let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
  2. If you are a farm worker or work in food processing, you do not need to be vaccinated to enter Canada. Use this tool to check and confirm whether or not you qualify for this exemption.
  3. If you are unvaccinated, your boss may not hire you back. This is not fair! Get in touch with us if you were not called back this year because of your vaccination status.
  4. Make sure you have ArriveCAN app on your phone. A printed ArriveCAN receipt is also accepted. Click here for more information or contact us if you have problems.
  5. You need to show proof of a negative test taken 72 hours or less before your plane leaves for Canada. Click here to see what type of tests are accepted.
  6. If you are fully vaccinated and test negative for COVID-19 on arrival, you might not have to quarantine. Check yourself for symptoms every day and follow your local public health guidelines to stay safe. Let us know if you have any questions.
  7. Unvaccinated workers must quarantine for 14 days and test negative on the 14th day; you cannot work during this time but you must be paid for 30 hours/week. Contact us if you have an issue with your pay.

How can I apply for permanent residency?

After graduating from a public post-secondary institution, you may be eligible for a post graduate work permit (PGWP). Depending on the length of your program, your PGWP may be anywhere from 8 months to 3 years long. During this time, you have to complete requirements for permanent residency.

Most migrant student workers apply for permanent residency through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) or the federal Express Entry program called the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). 

For the PNP, every province or territory has their own streams, except for Quebec, which has its own program. 

For the CEC, the key requirements are:

  • Minimum of 12 months of high waged work experience in Canada in NOC 0, A or B jobs
  • High language scores: CLB 7 for NOC 0 or A; CLB 5 for NOC B

Many of us struggle to get permanent residency because of these unfair requirements, and that forces us into very difficult situations. That is why current and former international students like you are coming together to demand permanent immigration status for all now! Join us.

My study permit is expired or expiring, what should I do?

If your study permit is expiring and you haven’t completed your studies yet, you can apply for a study permit extension. You should do this at least 30 days before your permit expires.

If your study permit is expiring and you will be graduating before it expires, you can apply for a post graduate work permit (PGWP). You have up to 180 days after you get your final marks from school to apply for a PGWP.

If your study permit has already expired, you can try to restore your status. You usually have 90 days after your permit expires to restore. But during COVID19, you may be eligible to restore your status until August 31, 2021 if you had valid status on or before January 2020.

If your study permit expired before January 2020 and you cannot restore it, contact us to discuss your options. You are not alone!

My post graduate work permit (PGWP) is expired or expiring, what should I do?

The post graduate work permit (PGWP) is a non-renewable, time-restricted permit that we can only get once. After the PGWP expires, we have very limited options. 

This puts a lot of pressure on us. In 2020, tens of thousands of PGWP holders across the country were facing a massive crisis – our permits were expiring, there were no jobs, we couldn’t complete the requirements for PR and we were running out of time. So we came together to demand that the government respond. After months of organizing, we won a historic policy change that stopped the possible deportation of over 52,000 migrant student workers! 
Now, PGWP holders with expired or expiring permits may be able to apply for an 18 month open work permit and have a second chance to qualify for PR. If you have questions about the new open work permit, contact us. You can read more about the victory here.

How do I apply for permanent residency?

To apply for the new Caregiver Program that started in June 2019, you have to meet all the requirements before coming to Canada. If you are applying from within Canada, you have to meet all the requirements before being accepted into the program. 

The government requires:

  1. A job offer from an employer in Canada

A signed offer of employment to be a home child care provider or a home support worker in a job (outside of the province of Quebec).

  1. Ability to do the job

Relevant work experience or training that shows you are able to do the job of a home child care provider (nanny, babysitter, live-in caregiver providing child care) or a home support worker (attendant for persons with disabilities, live-in caregiver for seniors, personal care attendant, home support worker). These jobs are described under the National Occupation Classification (NOC) code 4411 or 4412.

  1. Educational Credential Assessment

At least 1 year Canadian post-secondary education or its equivalent. You must get an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) from an approved organization.

  1. Language Test

English or French language skills that meet the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level 5. You must pass the IELTS or CELPIP exam with CLB 5 in all skills. Your test must be less than 2 years old when you apply.

If you do not qualify, you are not alone! The requirements are too strict and leave most care workers out. This is not fair! PR means equal rights, the power to protect ourselves, leave bad jobs and reunite with our families. Care workers like you are working together to push the Canadian government to give permanent status for all. Contact us to get involved.

What should I do if my work permit is expiring or has expired?

If your work permit is expiring soon, you may be able to extend your work permit through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP). Your employer will need a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) first. 

If your work permit has expired, you may be able to restore your status if you have a positive LMIA. You have 90 days after your work permit expires to restore your status.

But we are tired of these temporary policies – we need permanent solutions! This is why migrant care workers like you are organizing to win full and permanent status for all. Join us!